PURITY & THE PAINTED WORD Tributes to American Sign Painters & N.Y. Graffiti Writers

Sunday, December 10, 2006

PILGRIMAGE TO SHAWANO


My tribute to the man who wrote the book on sign painting, Ralph Gregory. When I decided that I wanted to paint signs, I noticed that "real sign painters" knew a lot I didn't know, things I needed to know. I found the book "Sign Painting Techniques" in the library on 43rd St.. After checking the book out over and over I eventually bought my own copy. I read the book, but the feeling was that I was working along side my mentor "Greg" as he worked in his shop or out on the wall or boards.Through the photos of his jobs, that served as examples in his book, I knew he was from Shawano WI.. Years later I made the trip to Shawano, dreaming of shaking his hand and thanking him but he was not to be found. What I did find was a small town with many beautiful, fading, weathered signs with the "Gregory Signs" signature in the corner still at work.


1 comment:

Wade Swormstedt said...

Hi Steve:
I got your email and hit "reply," but it came back as undeliverable. We'd love to publish some of your photos, but we may not be able to give you specifics until after the New Year. But I wanted to let you know immediately of our interest.

Wade at SOTT